Confession...I have a thing against trampolines.
Sure, I loved them when I was growing up. My best friend had one and I spent countless hours on her trampoline during my childhood. It was a lot of fun. I have SO many memories that involve that trampoline...from jumping and doing tricks, to laying out in the sun (wretched, I know!) and simply talking, to sleepovers and sleepunders. Lots and lots of good memories.
But I grew up to become a nurse. I have taken care of far too many children with trampoline injuries. The doctors I worked with hated them, especially the ortho docs (although it was great for business, I guess). The scariest case was a child I took care of in the pediatric intensive care unit, who had broken his neck. I vowed then that I would never own a trampoline. I didn't want the potential of my children being severely injured or the liability of that happening to any of the neighbors. Currently, there is a trampoline in our neighborhood and my kids are not allowed on it. Yes, I am THAT parent!
But I grew up to become a nurse. I have taken care of far too many children with trampoline injuries. The doctors I worked with hated them, especially the ortho docs (although it was great for business, I guess). The scariest case was a child I took care of in the pediatric intensive care unit, who had broken his neck. I vowed then that I would never own a trampoline. I didn't want the potential of my children being severely injured or the liability of that happening to any of the neighbors. Currently, there is a trampoline in our neighborhood and my kids are not allowed on it. Yes, I am THAT parent!
So, when we were in Utah and David's brother, Joey, wanted to go to a trampoline park called wAIRhouse, I was surprised to find myself saying "yes." I do not know what possessed me to agree, other than it sounded like a lot fun. So we went. There was still some apprehension on my part and I wondered, even as we were signing the liability waivers, if we were doing the right thing...but sign we did.
We had so. much. fun.
We showed up when it opened and pretty much had the place to ourselves, which was HUGE for me. Most trampoline injuries don't come from a single person, but more than one person jumping on the same trampoline. With the place virtually to ourselves the risk of injury was low. When others started showing up and began jumping on the same trampoline squares as my children, I started to get a bit nervous, but our hour was basically up so we headed out.
RyPie was technically too young to participate, but really, there was no holding this boy back. He was expected to stay off to the side with a couple of toys meant for infants and be content. Ha! Not happening. It would have been misery for all. So, he ran and jumped and played like a big boy...only he was so light he hardly made a dent in the trampolines. He loved jumping into Joey's open arms.
We had so. much. fun.
We showed up when it opened and pretty much had the place to ourselves, which was HUGE for me. Most trampoline injuries don't come from a single person, but more than one person jumping on the same trampoline. With the place virtually to ourselves the risk of injury was low. When others started showing up and began jumping on the same trampoline squares as my children, I started to get a bit nervous, but our hour was basically up so we headed out.
RyPie was technically too young to participate, but really, there was no holding this boy back. He was expected to stay off to the side with a couple of toys meant for infants and be content. Ha! Not happening. It would have been misery for all. So, he ran and jumped and played like a big boy...only he was so light he hardly made a dent in the trampolines. He loved jumping into Joey's open arms.
Luke jumping into the square foam pit.
There was some throwing of children involved. They loved it!
David jumping.
And getting buried.
Buried Joey.
Repeated climbing out of the pit can really wear you out.
Me getting ready to jump in.
Ryland loved every minute he spent on the trampolines.
A slam dunk from Joey.
Dodge ball...brought back great memories from elementary school.
Having some fun. Jumping on trampolines sure wears you out...especially when you are not in shape! I tired quickly. :(
Luke and David racing each other.
Luke won.
They raced over and over and Luke beat him every time. I finally had to ask David if he was letting Luke win, but no, David was doing the best he could. I had a great video of the two of them racing...it shows how swift Luke is, but when I went to post it on YouTube it was gone! I must have accidentally deleted it. Bummer.
I did get one very short clip of Luke running, but not racing, just before we left.
Running Caden.
A race between Joey and Ryland.
Another picture of lightning fast Luke.
Porter and RyPie.
A race cut short with David biffing it right at the start. We all got a good laugh and Porter piled on.
Thank you Joey, Meg and Roman for a fun filled day!!
No comments:
Post a Comment