Family

Family

January 9, 2014

Polar Vortex

It has been cold here in Wisconsin for a good while now, but this week went way beyond my definition of cold.

When we woke up Monday morning it was -23 degrees and -40 with wind chill.  The following day was much the same.  Now that is cold!!  The weather guys called this cold snap a "Polar Vortex"...meaning arctic air that normally sits at the north pole traveled south, down into the United States. 
 
School was cancelled on Monday and Tuesday since it only takes 10 minutes in this kind of cold for frostbite to set in. So, we hunkered down and had a great time inside.  Except for David...he braved the weather and went to work.

We had ample time to make bread, work on puzzles, and the boys loved it that I allowed them more time than I normally would playing the Wii.

 
 

 
 

 
David went to work dressed like this.  Thank goodness for a coat that works at -40!!  I had to laugh when Porter told me he looked creepy.  I have a coat that goes to my knees.  A friend here says you know you live in Wisconsin when you own a long coat.
 
 
We also had church cancelled recently due to snow.  When our neighbors were done removing snow from their driveways and sidewalks they came to help us.  We live in a great neighborhood!
 
Most of our neighbors own a snow blower and helped with our side walk (we live on a corner and have a lot of ground to cover) and at the end of the driveway where the snow plows piled all the snow.
 
 
 
 
 
 The boys had a blast playing in the snow.

 
Luke, Caden, and our neighbor Vinny.

 
Porter, trying to reach Luke, Caden, and Vinny.

 
Ryland watched the excitement for a short time from the porch.  It was somewhere around 32 degrees this day and it felt warm!  When my neighbor discovered I didn't have snow pants for this one, she kindly let me borrow snow bibs for him for the season.  Thanks Jill!
 
 
 The snow was wet and heavy on this day and we kept having to go behind the kids and re-shovel the sidewalks since they were continually knocking snow down during their play.

 
 

 
 A snow plow took out our mailbox.  The driver leaned out of his window and said, "Sorry!"  No offer to help fix it, though!  It is back on it's perch, but not quite as good as new.

 
 David has talked about getting a snow blower since we moved here in June!  He went out shopping for one the day before the above storm hit, but didn't come home with one (although he was wishing he had).  He has since decided not to get one as he wants our boys to learn how to work.  I am completely on board with that!  I just wonder if his thinking will be the same come 3 months from now.  :) 

 

 
 


1 comment:

  1. I really cannot even imagine! I am thinking of you as we enjoy our 68 degree days.

    ReplyDelete