Family

Family

December 28, 2013

Brrr...

These boys are loving the snow!  No matter that sometimes the temperature reads in the negatives, and will continue to be there (or roundabout) more often than not over the coming months.
 
On this particular day, when the boys begged to go outside it was 7 degrees
(0 degrees with wind chill).
 
 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 
It is a requirement here in Wisconsin for school children to wear boots and snow pants to and from school and at recess.
 
In previous states where we have lived, children were not allowed out for recess if it was below freezing (meaning below 32 degrees Fahrenheit).  When it began getting really cold here, we (parents of school children) received a few emails reminding us to make sure that our children were dressed appropriately as they would be going outside for recess as long as it was "not below freezing."  Being the new Wisconsonite I took "freezing" to mean below 32 degrees.  Ahh...not so.  I was quite wrong and had been sending my kids to school for a couple of weeks without the proper gear!  I assumed that they had been having inside recess (Luke even mentioned once how he wished they could have gone outside for recess).  On one particularly cold day I double-checked with Luke and asked him if he had stayed inside.  I was surprised when he told me he had not.  What!?!  My poor kids!  The next day Luke and Caden went to school with snow pants and both commented on how they couldn't feel the cold through their jeans anymore!  Bad, bad parent!  I have since talked with other parents, and here in Wisconsin, "below freezing" means below 0 degrees (in Fahrenheit).  Brings a whole new meaning to "freezing."  At least they take into account wind chill when deciding if the kids can go outside or not.  

No comments:

Post a Comment