Family

Family

October 17, 2013

Pneumonia

I am not one to rush my kids to the doctor.  Shh....

Because I am a nurse, some people ask my opinion about when I think they should take their child to the doctor.  I usually tell them I am not a good person to ask since I often error on the side of "waiting a bit longer."  I struggle with taking a child to the doctor, when most things end up being a virus they just have to work through.
 
Now, lest you think I am a terrible parent, I always take my kids in for ear infections.  And since I have a trusty otoscope, I already know they have one before I go.
 
Then there is Strep Throat.  This is not one I mess with...if left untreated it can develop into other really nasty problems involving the heart (rheumatic fever) and kidney problems...and permanent damage can be the result.

So, when Caden came home from school a couple of weeks ago complaining of being tired, it turned out he had a fever.  The following morning his temperature was 103, he had a sore throat, and a tummy ache.  No runny nose, no cough.  All the red flags of Strep, at least in children.  Even so, I probably would have waited another day or so (to see if he developed a runny nose and cough), but our yearly max for medical insurance had been fulfilled and I thought, "Let's catch it early!"  So, I took him in.

 
And no Strep.

He continued to have a fever between 101-102 for the next several days, wasn't eating or drinking much, continued to feel tired, and developed a deep, productive cough.  This is a child who rarely gets a fever.  Luke ends up with a fever if he has the tiniest cold, but not Caden.  I knew something else was going on and took him in again.  Turns out he had developed pneumonia.  Plus an ear infection to top it off.
 
Antibiotics were started and he continued to hang out at home for a few more days.  He was the sweetest little patient.  He watched TV, started and finished 3 puzzles, and ate popsicles.


One thing we learned from this experience is that he has an allergy to the antibiotic he was given.  After two and a half days on the antibiotic he developed hives all over his body.  It was the weekend, of course, so we took him to the "After Hours Pediatric Clinic".  The doctor confirmed that he had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic and that his reaction would become more severe if given it again.  He was started on a second antibiotic and has done very well.
He is now back at preschool and I have to say I miss him!




No comments:

Post a Comment