Family

Family

July 24, 2013

Arthroscopic Shoulder Surgery

I have had shoulder pain in both shoulders for the last 15 years. It has slowly worsened over time.  While I have wanted to do something about it for the past few years, I have been busy with other things.  Pregnancy, nursing, newborns, and raising young children have been the biggest blockades to seeking treatment.  I also suspected the only thing that would correct the problem would be surgery, and that didn't fit into my busy life.
 
So, for several years, normal daily activities have caused me pain.  Things such as picking up a gallon of milk, drying my hair, reaching for a plate in the cupboard, throwing a ball, etc. This pain has also been present at night.  I decided that once we had this last baby of ours that I would have it looked at.  Well, while pregnant with Ryland, my right shoulder flared up to where I was in pain continuously...night and day.  I sought treatment a little earlier than expected.  I went in hoping for a cortisone shot, which my OB said would cause no harm to our, nearly third trimester, growing babe.  I knew it was a short-term solution, but wanted help for the pain and knew that would buy me some time.  The diagnosis...a calcium deposit, causing inflammation and pain.  In addition, I had something called "impingement syndrome" which meant there was no room between the bones for the tendons in my shoulder to move freely, creating more pain. 
 
Calcium Deposit.
(Not my x-ray)
  
My doctor in Arkansas took the conservative approach, which I understand and respect, even though I didn't think it would prove to be a long-term solution.  I accepted the cortisone shot and while I still had pain, it was greatly lessened.  I went to physical therapy.  It didn't help.  I had ultrasound therapy.  It didn't help. The cortisone shot wore off, and after I delivered Ryland I had a second shot.  I also had an MRI done at that time to check for a rotator cuff tear.  Thankfully, no tear.  Unfortunately, the second shot didn't work as well as the first.  In the end, the only permanent fix was surgery, as expected.

My doctor in Arkansas wanted to use the scope to shave down my bone (to create more room for my tendons to freely move) and was then going to cut me open to remove the calcium deposit.  That did not sit well with me.  I knew this surgery could be done with the scope alone.  I questioned him on it...on two separate visits.  According to him, this was the only option to remove the deposit.  I knew there was another way.  

So, I decided to go to someone I could trust.  To someone who would only use the scope.  He happened to be in Utah (he scoped both of my knees 18 years ago).  Since I was going to be in Utah for a family reunion come summer time, I decided to have surgery too!  In February, this awesome doctor allowed me to schedule my surgery with him for June.  Without yet seeing me.  My records were transferred and I did see him in his office on the last day of our reunion.  The following day I had surgery.  

I could hardly wait to have my shoulder fixed those last 3 months, but I am glad I waited for this doctor.  He did an amazing job and I am having a great recovery.  If I had allowed the Arkansas doctor to open me up, my recovery would have been much more difficult.  I thought it was interesting that my Utah doctor said that using the scope is standard procedure across the country for this problem and he doesn't know of anyone who opens shoulders up anymore.
Hmmm...I do.

----------------------------------

Waiting to be taken to the OR.

 
Nope, this is not a baby!
I received a nerve block in my neck (lovely little things) that numbed me from shoulder to hand.  It was guided by ultrasound.  The round portion in the center is a cluster of nerves that the anesthesiologist surrounded with numbing medicine.  The block lasted 12-16 hours.  I'll take the needle in the neck every time over waking up in pain.
 
 
The nurse had me mark my own shoulder with an X so they would operate on the correct one.  The doctor signed it later with his initials as well.

 
Post surgery.
Drinking my water and eating crackers so I could get home as fast as possible!

 
Ready to leave.

 
3 days post-op.
Two scope holes and a little bruising.

 
Inside my shoulder.

 
The calcium deposit is the white "snowball" to the right of the instrument.

t
 
All done.







No comments:

Post a Comment