I have once again made it through the first months of another pregnancy. I am almost 18 weeks. The past few weeks have been hard. Unfortunately for David, he has lived this with me for the fourth time...and this pregnancy isn't over yet! I am still nauseated every day, but it is so much better than it has been...it's annoying, but that's better than non-functional. I have finally been able to clean the house...for which we are ALL grateful! Although I have more energy, I still seem to fatigue easily. That may just be pregnancy, or age, or that I am anemic this time (a first for me). Whatever it is, it is also annoying. The headaches aren't my favorite either.
Still, while the last few months have been difficult, I am also grateful. I recognize that pregnancy is a miracle. A gift. I am truly grateful to be carrying this new little babe. I am grateful that I am not one of those women who suffer with nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and the inability to function for their entire pregnancy. I am grateful for that little white anti-nausea pill that has gotten me through the debilitating all-day nausea. I am grateful for a husband who got the kids up, dressed, and fed every single morning before he left for work. I am grateful for a husband who managed 3 young children at church (with one who usually needed to be taken out) without me. I am grateful for a husband who took kids to doctor's appointments and did the grocery shopping. I am grateful for a husband who did so much for me and his family during a time when he had more on his plate than ever before with work, school, and studies. I am grateful to three little boys who made it through so many weeks with a mom who spent much of the time on the couch. I am grateful to friends who brought meals, homemade bread, and homemade goodies. I am grateful to friends who welcomed our boys into their homes for some needed playtime.
Still, while the last few months have been difficult, I am also grateful. I recognize that pregnancy is a miracle. A gift. I am truly grateful to be carrying this new little babe. I am grateful that I am not one of those women who suffer with nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and the inability to function for their entire pregnancy. I am grateful for that little white anti-nausea pill that has gotten me through the debilitating all-day nausea. I am grateful for a husband who got the kids up, dressed, and fed every single morning before he left for work. I am grateful for a husband who managed 3 young children at church (with one who usually needed to be taken out) without me. I am grateful for a husband who took kids to doctor's appointments and did the grocery shopping. I am grateful for a husband who did so much for me and his family during a time when he had more on his plate than ever before with work, school, and studies. I am grateful to three little boys who made it through so many weeks with a mom who spent much of the time on the couch. I am grateful to friends who brought meals, homemade bread, and homemade goodies. I am grateful to friends who welcomed our boys into their homes for some needed playtime.
I am grateful.
When feeling so miserable there are very few smiles. Laughter is even more rare. I am grateful that these are starting to return. There were a couple of things from the past weeks that caused me to smile. The first was when I was, yet again, poised over the toilet retching my guts out (sorry for the picture), and I heard Luke, from the next room, sigh and then say, "Here we go again." The feeling was mutual. Even in the misery of the moment, I smiled. I think I may even have chuckled...if not out loud, I sure chuckled in my head.
The second was while I was at the drive-thru pharmacy picking up my third prescription of anti-nausea meds. The pharmacist said, "Now these are for nausea and they will make you sleepy, so only take them if you are nauseated." Really?!? Why do you think I am here at the pharmacy picking up another refill of my anti-nausea meds the very second they are available? I didn't tell him I am nauseated All. The. Time. Or that the pills don't make me the least bit sleepy. Instead, I gave him a small smile through the glass window, gladly paid the money, drove home, swallowed one of those lovely pills, laid down on the couch, and, unfortunately, did not fall asleep. David did laugh out loud when I told him...and somehow I found the energy to laugh with him.
I struggle with posts without pictures so here is one taken during those miserable weeks. After plopping down in the middle of the kitchen (sitting takes less energy than standing), Porter, who was sick with a cold and had a fever, came and sat with me.
The second was while I was at the drive-thru pharmacy picking up my third prescription of anti-nausea meds. The pharmacist said, "Now these are for nausea and they will make you sleepy, so only take them if you are nauseated." Really?!? Why do you think I am here at the pharmacy picking up another refill of my anti-nausea meds the very second they are available? I didn't tell him I am nauseated All. The. Time. Or that the pills don't make me the least bit sleepy. Instead, I gave him a small smile through the glass window, gladly paid the money, drove home, swallowed one of those lovely pills, laid down on the couch, and, unfortunately, did not fall asleep. David did laugh out loud when I told him...and somehow I found the energy to laugh with him.
I struggle with posts without pictures so here is one taken during those miserable weeks. After plopping down in the middle of the kitchen (sitting takes less energy than standing), Porter, who was sick with a cold and had a fever, came and sat with me.
Congrats!! That is so exciting!!! Wow #4. You are amazing. I hope your nausea subsides soon, but congrats. That is amazing.
ReplyDeleteSorry you are so miserable but Congrats on baby #4. Thankfully it won't last forever and the joy you get from your little ones out numbers all the not so fun things.
ReplyDeleteYeah for 18 weeks!!!! You'll be happy to now, that 18 weeks went every fast for me. Oh wait, that doesn't matter at all... :)So excited to find out what you're having soon. No matter what it is! Keep up the good work, you're doing great!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on making it, and especially on number 4! That's exciting - still miss you guys up here. When are you coming back? :)
ReplyDeleteOh Heather, I wondered if you were pregnant because it has been so long since you have posted! Pregnancy is a miserable miracle - one for which we are grateful and hate all at the same time. It's a good thing the little kiddos are worth it. I am pregnant too, but only 7 weeks, so I have a LONG ways to go til it gets more bearable. Here's to hoping we are both carrying sweet adorable little FEMALE babies!
ReplyDeleteCongrats!! You're an amazing woman, Heather...so inspiring to sacrifice so much for a child. Your children are sooo lucky to come to your family! And hats off to your incredible husband. Go TEAM ALSOP!!
ReplyDeleteYay! I am so excited for you. I hope you are feeling better. I can't wait to read more updates to come.
ReplyDelete