Luke and Caden took a basketball class this summer. This was Caden's first time playing basketball (outside of shooting hoops at the church and parks). On his first day I asked him if he had a good time and he said, "No, I didn't. It was hard." I was surprised because it looked like he was having fun. So I said, "Ok, don't play." I would have had him continue because he is not going to learn without practicing, but I was banking on him not liking my response. He said, "No, I am coming back." And he did. On day 2, he told me it was much better than day 1 and he continued have fun from thereon out.
Luke and Caden played in the same gym, just different halves of it. Caden (7) played with 7-8 year olds. I didn't get many pictures or video. Here is a short clip of Caden playing "Around the World" and "Pig" with some of his teammates. I love his excitement when he makes a shot. I didn't get any video of him playing a game! I didn't break out the camera until the last day and both he and Luke played their games at the same time. Once Caden got past his first day, it was a pleasure to watch him play as his excitement and confidence grew.
Luke (9) played with the 9-12 year olds. He was one of the younger ones playing with kids who had more experience. Each class started out with shooting practice, followed by specific drills. Sometimes they played "Around the World" or "Lightening" which was is when Luke had the most fun. The last twenty minutes of each class they would have do a scrimmage (mini-game). The real coach (I think he is the high school coach) took the younger kids. Luke had him last year and he is awesome! I was actually sad, initially, that Luke was with the older kids because he learned so much last year from the this coach.
The older kids got an assistant who is a kid himself (in high school). The first few games were tough for a lot of the kids as there were 2-3 ball hogs who refused to pass the ball to anyone. They took all the shots and kept the ball to themselves. The coach of the younger kids never allowed this to happen. He made sure there was lots of passing of the the ball, that everyone had a turn to bring the ball up the court and was able to make shots. These scrimmages are not real games, but meant to teach how to work as a team. The mom of the biggest ball hog sat by me and confessed that it was hard for her to watch her son not be a team player. It was hard for me to watch Luke lose interest and walk the court (instead of using some hustle), because he knew he would never touch the ball.
Half-way through, the class the assistant coach took charge and made sure that the ball hogs didn't run the whole show. It was right about this time that David starting attending the classes with me (unemployment has its perks!). He watched Luke and the ball hogs and gave Luke some great advice. He told Luke to take a ball hog and guard him and not let him get the ball. He took the advice to heart and chose the biggest ball hog and boy did he ever guard him! It was so fun watching a fire be lit under this kid. I watched him go from apathetic to someone with drive and confidence. All of a sudden he was guarding, stripping the ball, and rebounding. What? I have to admit I was a bit giddy from this change...methinks there is some competitiveness in me, which those who know me well already knew! His coach noticed too and took the opportunity on the last day to seek him out and tell him what a great job he did during those last couple of games.
The short video below shows Luke playing "Lightening" and a bit of his guarding skills.
No comments:
Post a Comment