Family

Family

September 2, 2015

First Day of School

I have plenty of summer stuff to catch up on, but couldn't pass up posting on the first day of school!  Our summer flew by.  So fast.  I have such mixed feelings about my kids going back to school.  I love having my boys home with me, even though it is crazy, loud, hectic, and, let's be honest, sometimes hard.  But it is also good.  I love spending time with them, I love going fun places, I love unscheduled days and lazy mornings, I love going to Utah with them, I love being outside with them, I just love summer with them.  And now it is gone. :(
 
At the same time, I am excited for a few things too.  I am looking forward to a cleaner house (yes!), a quieter house (at least for the morning when I will only have Ry with me!), the ability to get some things done (there is plenty to do after a summer full of playing), and the ability to go shopping without all 4 in tow (wahoo!). :)

Luke and Caden started school yesterday.  Luke is in 3rd grade with Mrs. Egan and Caden is in 1st grade with Mrs. Ferkovich.  Caden has been practicing his teacher's name for the past week, but as it turns out, he gets to call her Mrs. F.

 
1st Grade!
 
 
3rd Grade!


Last week they were able to attend "Backpack Night" where they got to explore their classroom, drop off supplies, and meet their teachers.  Luke received a letter this summer from his teacher and he got all excited when he found out he was going to learn cursive this year.  I love that he is excited about this!  He loved his summer, but was excited to get back into school.  I have heard good things about his teacher and am thrilled he is in her class!

I got an inkling of how Caden was feeling about this school year when he wanted to hold my hand, on backpack night, to walk into the school (very unlike him).  When we got to his classroom, he got to choose where he was going to sit, which he loved.  At his desk was a piece of paper where he had to print his name and color one of the three pictures that described how he felt about 1st grade.  The three pictures were:  Sad, Happy, and Scared.  He colored the scared picture (which better explained the hand holding).  After meeting his teacher and checking out his new classroom, a good part of the jitters were replaced with excitement for the coming year.  And, his teacher sent home a letter to be opened the night before school.  Inside was some "jitter glitter" to be sprinkled under his pillow to help him get rid of the jitters and "fall asleep fast" and "to wake feeling fresh and bright".

 
They both came home from school happy about their first day and excited to go back. 

Porter started 4K today!  4K is a pre-K program run by the school district (but takes place in local preschools).  It is M-Th for 3 hours in the morning.  I love this program for a few reasons, but my top two are that it is FREE and that the bus takes him to and from school.  The bus will pick him up and drop him off right in front of our house (all 4K students get this lovely door-to-door service).  The big boys benefit from this too since they can hop on the bus with him in the morning, instead of at the neighborhood bus stop (which is a long walk in the winter!).

 
He was so excited to finally be able to ride the bus.
 
 
Porter and Ryland are best buds.  When Ryland woke up today the first thing he asked was if he could ride the bus to school with Porter.
 

 
So sad to be the one left behind.

 
Hoping he will come to love his time at home alone with mom!
 
 
I sure wish I had taken a video of Porter coming home today.  Ryland was screaming Porter's name as he walked off the bus and ran to give him a great big hug!  It was so sweet!


1 comment:

  1. That picture of Ryland standing alone watching the bus drive off breaks my heart!!! Moms are cool, but not nearly as fun as brothers!

    ReplyDelete