We moved into our home two years ago. A month after moving in, we had new neighbors move in right next door. Tony, Jill and their son, Vinny (now 5), have been the best neighbors one could ask for.
Fences are rare in this part of the country. After moving here, I quickly discovered how much I missed our fenced yard in Arkansas. It was so nice to be able to let the kids out to play knowing they were fenced in and that I could watch from a window. At the same time, I have often thought if we did have a fence, I may not have gotten to know Jill as well. Outside my own family, I have spent more time with Jill then anyone else during the past 2 years. If our children are outside, Jill and I are outside. If Vinny was outside, my kids wanted to be outside too, and visa versa. Sort of by default, Jill and I got to know each other. We talked while the kids played and ended up developing a friendship.
Tony has been a U.S. Marine for the past 20 years and retired in June. Their plan had always been to move back to their home town in Minnesota after retiring from the military. So, this week we said farewell to them. To say I am going to miss them would be an understatement. It is going to be rather lonely outside these days. I am going to miss Jill's texts about deer, wild turkeys, or rabbits in our yard and watching the kids race to the window to see. I am going to miss her companionship at the neighborhood park, splash pad, and sledding hill. I am going to miss standing with her at the bus stop each morning and talking long after the bus has left. Yeah, I am going to miss her.
I discovered I didn't have a picture of Jill and I so we snapped one the day before she left.
Actually, I discovered this one, but it doesn't really count since we are both hidden behind a camera! We are taking pictures of our kids at the bus stop (in front of her house) on the first day of school. Farewell my good friend. You will be missed!!!
Ryland sure loves his Vinny. All my kids are going to miss him.
Some of the neighborhood boys (4 of which are mine) saying good-bye to Vinny on one of his last days.




No comments:
Post a Comment