Family

Family

November 18, 2014

Anniversary Trip

I have looked forward to our 10th anniversary trip for years.  I asked my mom 5 years ago (when we only had 2 kids) if she would be willing to watch our children so David and I could take a trip together.  She willingly accepted, even knowing it was possible we could have 4 kids by then.  Bless her!!
 
Our trip was going to be a fabulous cruise.  Oh, how I looked forward to it.  We knew we would need to start booking things a year in advance, but when that time arrived I had been dealing with a health condition for the previous 6 months with no end in sight.  This health problem included chronic pain so bad it was all I could do to take care of the most basic needs of my family.  I was not functioning well and an anniversary trip was completely out of reach.

Three to four months before our anniversary there was hope we might be able to take a trip.  I was not pain free (still am not...and have regressed in the past few of months), but life was so much better than the previous 15 months.  There might have been a chance we could still book a cruise, but I have been on a very restrictive diet to help heal my body and hopefully stop the pain, which meant that I would not be able to eat the food on a cruise.  So, the dream trip was out.
 
We began researching other options, and ended up deciding on a Spa Vacation!  Wisconsin had some nice spa resorts so we saved ourselves the cost of flights and stayed local.  It was not the trip I had imagined for ourselves, but it was wonderful nonetheless.
 
This was the first trip, with just the two of us, since having children.  The first trip together in 9 years.  It was just David and I for a whole week.  How glorious is that?  My parents are amazing for taking on this crew of ours while we were gone!!  We are in their debt.  Thank you, thank you mom and dad!!
You are THE BEST!!!

----------------------------------

The hotel knew it was our anniversary and on the evening we arrived we found this on our bed.

 
We were also given wine and being non-drinkers, David politely returned it.  On his way back he took a little tour and discovered this little gem.  The hot tub!

 
And a place to lounge in front of the fire.

 
On the first full day of our trip it rained...all day.  So, we shopped (browsed, more like) ate, got massages (of course!) and since we were in Kohler, we had to tour the "Kohler Design Center."  The main level is a showroom of kitchen and bathroom faucets.  The upper level was a gallery of elaborate bathrooms and kitchen designs...some with running water to show how they work.  And on the lower level there was a Kohler history museum.  It was really very interesting...especially since the company did not begin in the faucet/fixture business.

 
 This was one of the walls on the main level.  All the toilets cracked me up, so I had to take a picture.
 
 
On day two we took a Yoga class at "Yoga on the Lake."  This was a first for both of us and we quite enjoyed it.
 
 
One of our goals on this trip was to make sure we got in some kayaking.  We showed up early for our first kayaking appointment and no one was at the dock (September brings the end of the kayaking season in Wisconsin.  I think we were the only appointment for the day).  So, to burn some time, we took a stroll up one of the piers to Lake Michigan.

 
The lake is massive.  It feels more like an ocean.


 
Back at the dock, our guys were there to meet us, and we got in and kayaked up the Sheboygan river.  We could have kayaked Lake Michigan, but it is unpredictable and can conditions can change quickly.  We played it safe and kayaked up and down the river.  It was awesome!

 
 

 
 


 


David got a picture of me (and my cereal) as we were taking the elevator to the complimentary breakfast at the hotel.  I had to pack a lot of my own food (lame diet!) and this is one of two cold cereals I am allowed to eat. 
 
 
I have to say, I really loved the hot tub!

 
And the opportunity to READ!

 
There is not much time in my life right now for leisure reading.  I couldn't get enough of it on this trip.

 
On our last day in Kohler, we did a little horseback riding.  My horse was Tate.  He treated me well.

 
David had Lucy, and she had some spunk in her.  She liked to do her own thing.
 
 





 
 

 
Our second destination was Lake Delton.  This was the view from our balcony.



 
We relaxed, read, shopped at the outlets, had a pedicure and a second massage.

 
And kayaked again.  This time on Lake Delton.
The owners of this kayak called it "The Banana."  It was the most comfortable kayak we have ever been in.

 
 I love working a kayak.  I also love just sitting in a kayak.  I wouldn't say I am a big nature girl.  I like nature, but I am not one of those gung-ho kind of girls who feeds off all things green.  I can enjoy a hike and appreciate the beauty of a canyon or the majesty of a water fall, but there is something about sitting in a kayak that grabs me.  I am not sure what it is.  Maybe it is because all the hustle and bustle of life seems to fade into the background.  It's so peaceful and has a way of making me feel centered.  Whatever it is, it rejuvenates me and I find myself wanting to linger on the water.






 
On our last day we took a boat tour of the Wisconsin River.

 
We were told the Wisconsin River is brown because it passes through swamps where the tree roots secrete tannic acid (supposedly harmless) into the water, turning it brown.

 
We got out at "Witches Gulch" (a narrow canyon along the river) and walked along the boardwalk above the water.

 
We also got out at "Stand Rock" (a rock formation found along one side of the river).

 
A photographer, H.H. Bennett, invented the shutter that could take pictures of moving subjects.  To prove it, he took a picture of his son in 1886 jumping to Stand Rock.
 
 
For tourist purposes, they have a dog who makes the jump to and from Stand Rock.


While this wasn't my dream trip, spending this time alone with my best friend was perfect.  We talked, we relaxed, we read, we had some fun, and we laughed.  I even got in one of those good belly laughs...the kind that you just can't stop no matter how hard you try.  It has been a long time since I laughed that hard.  Thank you again, mom and dad, for making this trip possible!



1 comment:

  1. Oh Heather, I am sick that you are having a bit of a relapse into misery again! So. Very. Brutal! Especially when you are being so diligent with your diet. I continue to pray for you! I am so glad you were able to go on a trip alone. Jake and I had our first kidless get-away last year and decided it doesn't matter where we go as long as it is just the two of us! I hope you have gotten your pain under control. You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete