Family

Family

October 27, 2014

TWO, four, six, eight...

Ryland turned TWO in September.
The baby of our family is really two!!  I can hardly believe how fast time flies by these days.

The Stats

Height:  34.25 in. (55th percentile)
Weight:  25 lb. 6 oz. (12th percentile)

 
 
Ryland sleeps with 2 blankets.  He loves them both equally.

He is a picky, picky, picky eater.  This child seriously refuses to eat the most basic foods.  Here is a small list of things he won't eat...fresh fruit, veggies, meat, cheese (unless melted in a grilled cheese or quesadilla), most cold cereal, and my favorite, the sacrament bread at church.

Ironically, he loves to eat sand and dirt.

And, of course, he will eat any and all treats.

The few things he does like to eat are typically accompanied by the sound "mmm" to show his approval.

He has been our slowest child to talk, but has progressed rapidly over the last 2-3 months.  He can pretty much say every word we ask him to.  For a long time, any words he did say had their endings missing, but in the past couple of weeks he has been filling in all those too.

My favorite word is the one he uses for himself..."PiePie" for RyPie.
I also love that he says, "cool" about anything he thinks is awesome.
His newly discovered word is "no" and he uses it often.

He loves the tub.  I usually end up soaked from all the splashing he loves to do.  He also loves to put his face in the water and doesn't seem bothered by the fact that he comes up coughing.  He does it over and over and over.  This is the first child of ours that loves water like this, and it is a wee bit scary.

This boy has been able to say "daddy" for many months, but "mom" was just not coming for him.  I tried and tried to get him to say it, to no avail.  He finally figured it out very recently and now all I hear is this insistent, "Mama? mama?, mama?, mama?" all day long. Ha!  That will teach me!

He makes a BIG fuss over getting his finger nails clipped, teeth brushed, sunscreen applied, hands washed, face washed, etc.

He loves to have his back rubbed.

When I go to get him up in the morning and after his nap, he typically doesn't want to get out of his crib.  He loves to play this game where he acts like he wants out and then flops back down on his belly.  I have learned to have a seat in the rocking chair and chat with him until he is good and ready to get out (unless I am in a hurry to be somewhere and then tears of protest are usually involved).

He is seriously obsessed with cars.  He takes them wherever he goes...in the car, stroller, outside, into stores, and even into his room when it is time for naps and bedtime (he parks them on his nightstand).

He is full of personality and brings such a light into our home.

----------------------------

It is difficult to get a non-blurry picture of this child because he is constantly on the move.  I have deleted more blurry pictures of this boy than all the others combined.  He does not stay still.

On that note, just before he turned 2, I was pulled aside by his nursery leader at church.  She wanted to inform me of a problem they were having with him.  She proceeded to tell me that the "problem" was that he would not stay seated in his chair during the times she wanted him to sit at the table.  I must admit I was thinking his crime would be much bigger in size, but I pride myself on not laughing out loud.  I let her know that, no, he doesn't sit still...he's two.  She said that maybe if I work on it with him at home and she works on it at church that maybe we can solve this problem.  Not sure how far that is going to get us since we have been working on it every day (like during family prayer) since he could freely move around!  Hopefully, by the time he goes to kindergarten he will have it figured out.  Good thing he has that extra year to work on it due to his September birthday!


I love this picture because it shows Porter being the protective older brother...he is trying to hold back Ryland's arms from the candle flame.

 
Digging in.



 
 
 
We are truly in a new stage of life.  If we had continued to follow our previous pattern (a baby every 2 years, give or take a few days), I would have had a 5th baby by mid- August to early September.  I honestly cannot imagine adding a 5th child to this crew right now.  I have enjoyed this last year of freedom from another miserable pregnancy.  I have paused often to enjoy the small moments I might not have otherwise noticed.  I have enjoyed watching this baby of our family grow and grow.  I have enjoyed watching the other boys grow into bigger boys.  And I am beginning to see the joys that come with this next stage.  David thinks we got out this summer more than all the summers combined since having children.  He may be right.  My heart still aches at times for the ending of the stage we have been in for the past several years.  My heart aches at times because I know I will never have a daughter grace our home.  In the same breath, I also feel joy and contentment.  The birth of Ryland went a long way to mend my raw and bleeding heart.  I am happy and I know my family is as it was meant to be.  I love having all these boys in my home!!


No comments:

Post a Comment