Family

Family

June 4, 2014

Carthage, IL

We included Carthage in our Nauvoo trip as well since it was only 30 minutes away.  So, on day three we headed to Carthage Jail.  Thankfully, a tour had just finished and another started that included only our family.  I say, thankfully, because the kids were a little cranky by this time and it was good that there was nobody else there to be bothered by their antics.  The tour started with a short film in this room.
 
 
The first floor of the jail was the home of the jail keeper and his family.  They cooked for the prisoners.

 
The dungeon was on the second floor.  Not a very comfortable place.

 
Joseph Smith, Hyrum Smith, John Taylor and Willard Richards were held in this room.  This is the room where the mob stormed through, shooting their guns.  Joseph and Hyrum were killed.

 
This picture cracks me up because it shows Porter's attitude this day.  He refused to face forward for the picture.

 
Luke is checking out the bullet hole in the door.

 
Luke and I below the window where the prophet Joseph Smith fell through after the mob stormed the jail and shot him.
 
Luke was often the only one willing to be in pictures on this trip.  I was about Luke's age when I visited Carthage, and I have vivid memories of that trip.  As I watched Luke take everything in, I couldn't help but think how ready he is for baptism.  I cannot believe it is so close.  He tells me often, "I can't wait to be baptized."  What a blessing to have this boy as the oldest child in our home.

 
 One final family picture...with Porter refusing to stand.
Gotta love it.



No comments:

Post a Comment