Family

Family

October 30, 2013

Five Down...

Wow.
We have had quite the start to the cold weather season.
And it is still Fall.
 
Caden picked up a nasty germ somewhere (probably preschool) and ended up with pneumonia.  He saw the doctor twice in 9 days and was put on antibiotics on the second visit.  He had a fever for a total of 12 days and missed a bunch of school.  After the antibiotic was started, it wasn't long before he was as good as new.

X-Ray of Pneumonia
 
David developed the same wet cough.  Luke, Porter, and I followed.
 
It was awful.  I haven't felt that bad since I had the flu while pregnant with Luke.  Body aches, joint aches, fever, chills, sore throat, exhaustion, and chest pain with coughing and breathing.
 
I went to the doctor next.  It was pneumonia.
 
I really thought David was going to beat it on his own.  He has an amazing immune system.  But, after 2 weeks, just as it was looking like he really would beat it, the fever returned along with all the other nasty symptoms.  He went to the doctor.  No surprise that he had pneumonia too.  David hasn't missed a day of work for sickness for our entire marriage, but stayed home for 2 days while the antibiotics kicked in and provided some much needed relief.
 
 Luke was next.  David took him to the "after hours pediatric clinic" since it was a weekend.
Pneumonia and an ear infection.
The pneumonia is no fun, but I was especially sad about the ear infection.
Luke has had his fair share of ear infections (and temporary hearing loss because of it).  He had ear tubes put in when he was 4 and the ear infections stopped.  One ear tube fell out after a year and a half and the second one followed 6 months later, but he continued to have fluid in that second ear for nearly a year.  By the time we moved to Wisconsin the fluid was finally gone and he was hearing perfectly.  Now both ears are fluid filled, plus one with an infection.  No!!!

Then Porter.  When David took Luke in, I had him take Porter too since I was sure he had pneumonia as well.  The doctor was quick to dismiss Porter since he was "active and acting normal."  I was irritated because I knew I would be bringing him back in to his regular doctor.  I am not sure what illness would keep this kid on the couch.  He is active no matter what.  And this doctor couldn't have known how much Porter LOVES to go to the doctor.  He actually gets excited to go and loves all the attention he receives once he is there.  I listened to this poor boy cough throughout the night for two more nights.  I now understand the term, "coughing up a lung"  since that is how it sounded.  He was exhausted from not sleeping well at night, but that didn't stop him from being active during the day.  The only change in behavior was that he was taking extremely long naps to make up for it.  Then he developed itchy hives all over his body (something that can occur in conjunction with pneumonia).  So, I took him in.  Sure enough, he had pneumonia.  When the nurse asked him about his pain level (and showed him the "faces" pain chart) he said he was hurting "a tiny bit."  He is quite the little champ.



We are now all on the mend (except a lingering cough that can last up to 4 weeks).
I am praying Ryland has escaped it. Five out of six is enough.
And I hope this is not a sign of things to come this winter!
 


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness Heather!!! Your poor babies and poor you! I am glad you are all up and about. Wish you lived closer so I could have brought you a big pot of chicken noodle soup. Hopefully you have gotten your sick in for the year.

    ReplyDelete