During Family Home Evening over the past few months, we have talked a lot about the Holy Ghost and the ways he talks with us. Luke has asked questions. We have answered. And we have waited. Waited for this little heart to be touched by the Spirit. At times, I have wondered if our boys are getting it. I have wondered how old I was when I first felt the Spirit. I can't say for sure, but I think it was around Luke's age. I wish I could remember the first time for me. So, I write about Luke's experience here so that he can look back on this in the years to come and know when and how it was that he first felt the Spirit.
We have a small selection of what the boys call "church movies". About two months ago, on a Sunday, the boys watched one of their favorites, "The Testaments."


At the conclusion of the movie, this is the conversation that ensued:
Luke (blinking back tears): "That movie always makes me cry."
Mom (Thinking in my head, "What? How did I not know this!!"): "It does? Which part?"
Luke: "The end...with Jesus"
Mom: "After Jesus was resurrected and he comes to visit in America?"
Luke: "Yeah."
Mom: "Do you know why it made you cry?"
Luke (shaking his head): "No."
Mom: "That was the Holy Ghost telling you that what you were watching was true. And the Holy Ghost was showing you how much you love Jesus. Did you know that was the Spirit talking to you?"
Luke (now excited): "No, I didn't."
Mom: "Well, he was. You just felt the Spirit."
We continued to talk about it for another minute or two and then Luke was off to the next thing. And I was left with tears in my eyes, knowing that this sweet boy had been touched by the Spirit. I then got up and ran to tell David, who was in the other room (such a newbie parent, I know!). David was just as excited as I was and wanted to talk to Luke too. We both sat down with Luke again and had another conversation about the Holy Ghost and how he talks to us. Luke was too cute as we talked with him. He was brimming with excitement that he had felt the Spirit. He has watched this movie a few times and never once have I noticed him crying. I am so glad that, on this day, he decided to come and tell me so that David and I could help him recognize what it was he was feeling. He has felt the Spirit a couple of times since this experience and has been eager to tell us. Maybe it is a small thing, but it feels like a victory. One thing to add to the armor.

WOW! What an important experience, a sweet tender boy and an amazing mom. Made me cry.
ReplyDelete