Family

Family

February 25, 2013

Green

Green. Smoothies.
 
We have a vegetable issue in our house...meaning we don't eat many.  Sure, we eat salads.  Some of us.  Sometimes.  Does that even count?  But a regular consumption of vegetables just doesn't happen.  Luke is the only one who thrives on vegetables, so he gets them in his lunch each day.  Porter will eat vegetables here and there.  Caden eats none...not one.  And I admit I am the biggest part of the problem.  I don't like a lot of vegetables, so we don't have them on hand.  In my fridge, you can usually find romaine lettuce, carrots, cucumbers and sometimes cauliflower.  The things I like.  Oh, and I love potatoes.  And corn.  Give me the starchy veggies!  (God put them on the earth so there has to be some health benefit, right?).
There is no broccoli.  No spinach.  No celery.  No kale.  Rarely anything green.

Enter...the green smoothie.
I have never really been into smoothies of any kind.  I prefer ice cream.  When the green smoothie craze started, I steered clear.  Veggies in my smoothie?  I don't think so.

Then, I witnessed quite a few people actually enjoy such smoothies.  Still, I wasn't convinced.  It took a gentle nudge (or two or three) from my mom that smoothies, with green involved, actually taste good.  So, we decided to see if we could sneak some health into our lives.  Turns out we can.  I am not into the ALL green smoothies.  I just can't do it.  If I have to chug it down, um, no thanks.  I can add some green to my smoothies, though.  And not taste that it is there.  Mostly.
 
Here is David and one of his favorite smoothies.  I have to mix mine separately because David can handle a lot more green than I can.  I tried one of his and ended up gagging over the sink.
So not worth it.
 
 
This is now what David brings to work for lunch and that makes me happy.  It may not seem like much of a lunch, but since this man doesn't typically eat lunch (I won't get on that soap box now), I am all for it.
 
 
The boys' afternoon snack is now a smoothie.  They love it.  And beg for more. 
Caden too, even after watching me put in a bunch of spinach.
 
 
Having fun with the green mustache.
 
 
This one is my favorite.  I know, it's not green.  Maybe that is what I like about it...it looks good!  It does have spinach in it (more than the recipe calls for too), along with a lot of other yummy things like blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries.  I haven't been able to make it a daily thing, but hey, something is better than nothing, right?
 
 
 

 


1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Heb! This from the girl who used to ask to be excused from the dinner table so she could go spit out her green beans she had storing in her mouth! (I always wondered: why didn't you just swallow them so you didn't have to sit there and taste them for so long? :-))

    I've been doing green smoothies for years, and I discovered that if I put almond milk in it, as well as half a frozen banana (just peel and freeze bananas when they are starting to go brown--I'm sure you already do this)that I can put an infinite amount of spinach and kale and it will still taste sweet and yummy. I also noticed you have a Blendtec. I have found lately that I prefer to use the "whole juice" button rather than the "smoothie button. The smoothie texture of the kale and spinach was grossing me out, whereas when it's more completely liquified it actually tastes creamy. My favorite smoothie: 1/2 frozen banana (very ripe), 3-4 frozen strawberries, 1/2 c. frozen blueberries, 1c. almond milk, 1 c. water, and then pack with as much spinach and kale that will fit--all the way to the top (and yes, I use the bigger sized blender cup "wild side" like you) Push "whole juice" Yum. My kids love it.

    ReplyDelete