Caden was born with an umbilical hernia (a small portion of his intestines protruded through the abdominal muscles around his belly button). Many of these close on their own by age 1. Some take 3-4 years to close. And a small percentage never close. We have waited 4+ years for Caden's to close with no luck. So, last month he had surgery to repair it.
He did so well. What a little champ.
He did so well. What a little champ.
Here are a couple of before pictures.
![]() |
| Before |
We have been told by his pediatricians and the surgeon that his "defect" (the opening) was small...about 2 millimeters. Still, we have spent the last 4 years pushing his intestines back in on a regular basis to prevent the intestines from staying out permanently, which can happen.
![]() |
| Before |
Watching TV while waiting to be taken back to the OR. Because of his young age he was the first patient of the day.
We prepped him for what was going to happen and he went easily and willingly with the nurse and anesthesiologist. They all (surgeon included) commented on his cute little bum that was peeking out of his gown as he walked with them to the OR. It was pretty darn cute! Glad he is not yet embarrassed by such things.
Just waking up.
His nurse commented that she wished all of her patients were so good. I will say he was a bit of a grump in the recovery room (mostly due to his empty stomach), and wanted out of there quickly. He takes after me...I'm a grump too when I go without food! The nurse was nice enough to let him go before he had been there for the required hour. As soon as he was home and able to eat, he was happy as a clam. The surgeon did a great job giving him plenty of local anesthetic and his anesthesiologist gave him some great drugs for pain, so he didn't feel anything until bedtime. After that he hurt for the next several days, but nothing too crazy. He stayed home from preschool and enjoyed watching movies on the couch. Lots and lots of movies.
His belly button was the flattest I had ever seen it when I took a peek at it in the recovery room.
Didn't get a picture, though.
Here it is all swollen and bruised 9 hours after surgery.
The belly button is too swollen to see the incision, but it runs right underneath his belly button.
Looks like a little smile. :)
And here is what it looks like a month out.
About the same as 9 hours out (minus the blood and bruising).
We saw the surgeon 2 weeks after the surgery and she said it was just swollen. Now when I feel that lump at the bottom of his belly button it is hard inside. We see the surgeon again in a week for his last check-up.
Wonder what she will say.
![]() |
| One Month After Surgery |
As I was taking these pictures, Caden asked me if his belly button was ever going to "blend in".
Hmm...
I am just not sure. Even if this funny bump ever goes away, I think he just has some extra skin. Before surgery when we would push his intestines back in he still had just a little leftover skin on the outside. I don't think he will ever have an "innie", but I look at it that there could be a lot worse things than an "outie".
We'll take it.









No comments:
Post a Comment