Family

Family

January 4, 2012

Temple Trip

The day after Christmas we took a temple trip as a family to the Oklahoma City Temple.  It is 4 hours from our home, which makes for a long day, so we decided to spend the night at a hotel. 

We visited the Oklahoma City National Memorial (the bombing site of Oklahoma City's Federal Building) before heading to our hotel.  The empty chairs in the background of this photo represent each life lost.  There are 168 chairs.  The 19 smaller chairs represent the children.  The first time I visited (in May) I cried when I saw the "The Field of Empty Chairs".  I was a senior in high school at the time of the bombing and have vivid memories of that tragic day...where I was when I heard, what I was doing, how I felt.


 
The wall behind David with the time "9:01" is one of the two "Gates of Time". There is another gate on the other side with the time "9:03".  The bombing happened at 9:02, so the first gate represents the "innocence of the city before the attack" and the other represents "the moment we were changed forever."  Between the two gates is a large, shallow pool with gently flowing water to help "soothe wounds" and provide a "peaceful setting for quiet thoughts".
We definitely felt the peace of this site while we were there.

 

 
David and Luke chillin' on the bed at the hotel.



After a long day, Porter finally fell asleep in the car as we were driving to dinner.
Sorry it was only for ten minutes little buddy!



The next day David and I took turns doing a session at the temple and then drove home.
 
 
 
Luke and Caden in front of the temple.



Me and the boys at the temple.


Driving home.
We have a rule at our house that the DVD in the van can only be used for trips longer than 3 hours.  They were excited for this trip and I suspect the main reason was that they could watch movies while we drove.


Porter doesn't find movies to be very entertaining for longer than about 30 seconds so I wondered how he would do in the car.  He surprised us by doing quite well.


One way he entertained himself was by sucking on his toes!




No comments:

Post a Comment