I know...more swimming pictures. This is for Luke's benefit. He asked me to put them on the blog...he is proud of himself and wanted to see more swimming pictures. I am willing to do anything to promote any joy he might feel about swimming.
I am proud of him too. I am finding myself blinking back the tears as I watch him swim. Not because of what his teacher is asking him to do. Or the shed tears, on his part. I am emotional because I am sad. Sad about this deep and genuine fear. It is heartbreaking for me. His teacher asked me if he has ever had a traumatic experience with water. Nope. He's just this way. I love what Ms. Jo is doing with him. And for him. I am emotional because I am grateful for what she is asking him to do. And grateful that Luke is doing it. I think I was more nervous on his first day than he was...nervous that this wouldn't work. Again. I am so glad that I am not having to drag Luke, kicking and screaming, to swimming lessons each day. He has some apprehension, but he actually wants to go. That is a blessing.
Ms. Jo is dumping water on his head...trying to get him used to water in his face. He has been dunked a few times now, but she always starts the lesson off a little easier. He does better with a gradual warm-up.
Showing him how to place his hands to dive.
Talking to him about the next thing they are going to do. He needs some prior notice.
Swimming...with Ms. Jo holding onto his shirt and his face out of the water. Baby steps. She is gradually taking herself more and more out of the picture.
Jumping in.
This was the first day Ms. Jo allowed his head to go under the water when jumping in. He handled it better than I expected.
Successful day.
Caden and Porter have been little champs while Luke is swimming. It is during their nap time. And it has been so hot...it's in the low to mid 90's come swimming time. Add a bunch of humidity and it is really HOT. We all just sit in the shade and sweat.
Here is Porter just lounging.
His red cheeks and face are not burned, just hot.
Poor kid.
I'd like to say this is the end of swimming pictures for the year, but I can't guarantee it. He has two more days this week, another week in July and another week in August!
I am SO PROUD of you LUKESTER!!! So glad you found a teacher to work with! He will for sure work through his fears with practice and help facing them! I can't believe how hot it is down there. It is the middles of June at this point, but here it is JUST getting hot!
ReplyDelete