Family

Family

June 6, 2011

The Babysitter

Luke, who is not yet 5, is a great little babysitter.  No need to call DCFS on me...I don't leave him at home to take care of the other kids!  He just keeps a good eye out for his brothers, specifically Porter.  It's great for times when I need to blow dry my hair or take the garbage out.  He's actually a little obsessive about it, which can sometimes be tad annoying, but in the end, it just shows how much he loves his baby brother and wants him to be safe.

He is always scanning the floor for dropped snacks.  He'll even go digging in Porter's mouth if he thinks he is chewing on something suspicious.  He places all rubber bouncy balls up high so Porter won't put them in his mouth.  He closes his "play room" door (the room with all the toys) unless he (or I) have scanned the floor for objects Porter shouldn't have.  He doesn't like him going anywhere near the doors in our house (Porter's hand has been smashed in a door...don't worry, nothing serious) and will take him by the legs and drag him somewhere safe.  He frequently stops what he is doing (eating lunch, playing cars, watching TV) to run and see if Porter is okay.  I tell Luke, daily, when he does this that Porter is okay because I am here AND I'm watching him.

As Luke was headed to "Quiet Time" today (and leaving me in charge of Porter), he looked me in the eye and said, "Watch him.  Make sure he doesn't get into anything dangerous."  I said, "Okay," and then tried my best to keep the laughter inside...and failed.  Sorry about that, Luke.  I think you are the cutest thing ever!  While Luke was in quiet time, I only fished two things out of Porter's mouth.  
I didn't tell Luke as I'm not sure he would approve. :-)

1 comment:

  1. That is so darling!! What a good big brother!

    ReplyDelete