Family

Family

January 27, 2011

The Move

Here is what our house looked like after the movers packed everything up.
What a blessing to have it done for us.  And all in one day.


More boxes.


And then some more.


The following day Atlas came back and loaded us up.
Again, so grateful to have it done for us.
I think the Elders Quorum loved us too!



Yup, we filled it up.
Top to Bottom.
Front to Back.
I did wonder if all of our stuff would fit.
The movers used a semi-truck with the last two moves.
Good thing we got rid of a bunch of stuff before moving.


Here's what the boys did, for two days, while the movers packed and loaded us.
I have no guilt about it.
There was no whining and they were out of the way of the movers.


Back in the car for the long drive.
Does this look familiar?  Headphones.  Tired Caden.
We took two days to get there.
So much better than taking it in one.


Arkansas!


A little play time at our hotel in Arkansas.


Boredom.


We had a day to kill before the moving van arrived.  So, why not get back in the car?
We took a drive up the mountains to Beaver Lake.
(More on that later)


No naps on the two-day trip, but Luke caught a nap while driving to the lake.
Too bad it only lasted 20 minutes!


Oh, a YARD!


The boys went straight to the backyard on move-in day.
It was cold, but they didn't care.
I think our neighbors must have thought we were crazy allowing our kids to play outside.
I would have been reprimanded by neighbors (and, yes, even strangers) in Chicago for doing such a thing, but I think they are too nice here to comment.
And, while cold, it just doesn't even compare to the frigid Chicago winter.



Rolling around in sheer happiness.


The boys spent the rest of the move-in day watching movies.
Again, no guilt.


Boxes...just waiting to be unpacked.


More boxes.
Waiting.


Oh, the paper!
Professional packers use A LOT of paper.
It's insane.
We have paper coming out of our ears.
This pile is only a small portion.


The boys loved playing in the pile in the garage.
Again, only a small portion.


Here are a few things I already love about Arkansas:

Everybody is nice!
Seriously, everybody...from the Sam's Club delivery guy to the gal at the Wendy's drive-thru window to the Car Insurance Agent.
What a change.  It is so refreshing!  And welcome!


I might actually run into somebody I know, once I get to know people.
Now, I'm sure some of you are thinking that's not a plus, but for me, it is.
(At least I think so.).
During my 3 years in Chicago I never randomly ran into anybody I knew (a neighbor, church member, friend, etc.).
Not anywhere.
Not at the grocery store, Target, the post office, Costco, a doctor's office, the parks, walking down the street.
It just never happened.
Not even once.
It's kind of isolating.
Maybe I'm a small town kind of girl.

The weather.
Don't get me wrong...it's cold right now, but not THAT cold.
I don't have to bundle up in scarf/coat/hat/gloves/boots just to walk to my mailbox.  I can now walk out and get my mail wearing a hoodie...and I'm covered.
School closes down (along with everything else) with 2 inches of snow.
(We'll see what I'm saying come summer, though.  Sounds like it gets hot!)

There are lots of families here.
It was such a surprise to go to the grocery store and find that other people have children too.
What?!
I am not a spectacle to gawk at?
Nobody is staring at me with big bulging eyes?
No interesting comments or questions about how many kids I have?

My ward (church).
It's big.
Great people.
Lots of kids.

I love, love, love that I don't have to drive a half hour (each way) wherever I go...with 3 young kids in tow.
Everything is right here.
Dreamy!

This is my kind of place!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome! We sure miss you up here in the frigid north. And the Elder's Quorum does love you, but we love everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update, I've been meaning to call and check in with you but didn't want to interupt all the organizing! Your house looks like a dream and I am so happy you finally have a yard!! I think you guys are going to love it there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome yard! I do believe my portable dvd player was one of the best purchases I ever made after having kids. Sounds like there's no regrets about moving! Good for you!!! You know, after this blog, it makes me more excited about the prospect of renting for the next 5 years. I love a change of scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A YARD! A big yard and a fence. OH A FENCE!!!! Wow no gawking at the 3 kids either AND they say hello. You must be in heaven. Hello Arkansas!!!!
    Congratulations!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to send you guys a Christmas Card but I don't have your new address, Could I get it?

    lizzyvoss@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete