Family

Family

January 6, 2016

Eleven

David and I celebrated our 11th Anniversary in September!  I am so grateful to have this man at my side during this adventure called life.  I am very blessed!


One of my favorite pre-marriage stories...

David and I were in the same singles ward (church congregation for young adults) for a year before he asked me out.  Most of that year I didn't even know he existed (little did I know that he knew I existed).  In the few weeks leading up to him asking me out, I knew of him, but had never spoken to him.  Then we had this somewhat awkward moment at church that he orchestrated so we could meet for the first time.  His roommate had been present during this awkward exchange, and after I left he told David that he had seen sparks flying (David told me this much later, of course).  All I know is that even though very little was said, I walked away wanting him to ask me out, which was a rare occurrence for me (especially in regards to a guy I didn't even know).  Two weeks later, he asked me out.  I had to work a night shift at the hospital on that particular evening and couldn't go.  I was bummed, but told him that I would love to go out another time.

Fast forward two weeks to our singles ward camp out.  My 2 roommates and I were setting up our tent when this cute guy hobbles up on crutches and asks if he can help us set up the tent.  I laughed because, really, how was he going to help us when he was clearly injured, but I said sure.  While he was on the ground hammering in a stake, I asked, "So...what's your name?"  He looked up and said, "Ahh...David..."  It is then that I realize this is the guy who asked me out two weeks prior.  Awkward moment number two.  His version of the story, is that I just up and walked away.  And I probably did.  I was mortified and in a state of shock that I had not recognized the guy who I had wanted to ask me out!  After the tent was up, I walked back with my roommates to the car to get our bags and spilled the beans to them that that was the guy who asked me out and, lame I, had not recognized him!  I remember Nikki saying, "Wow...he's cute."  And me saying, "Yeah, well I am sure he won't be asking me out again!"  I later told my mom about my blunder and my regret that I wouldn't be getting a date with him after all.

Now, in my defense...I had only seen David up close one time (two weeks before, during awkward moment number one) and only ever in church clothes.  On this particular day, he had been wearing a baseball cap, had grown out a goatee, and had just had ACL surgery on his knee.  The last time I saw him, he was not wearing a baseball cap, was clean shaven (I didn't even know someone could grow a goatee that fast) and perfectly healthy.  But that was before he blew out his ACL during a church basketball game.  Church ball can be rough.

Much to my surprise (and delight), he did ask me out again.  After a few dates, we talked about awkward moment number two.  He wanted to know if I figured out who he was in the moment he said his name (at the camp out) or if it was later.  Oh, it was in the moment, but after I explained the reasons why I didn't recognize him that evening, he confessed that he did indeed look very different with a baseball cap and a goatee and that close friends had been fooled before by the combination of those things.  That made me feel a little better about my foux pas.

It is still kind of amazing to me that this man of mine did, in fact, ask me out again.  I am so glad he had the courage to do so because the last 11 years with him have been the best years of my life.

1 comment:

  1. I love this so much! Your kids will treasure this story too! He was a smart man to not get turned off by your seeming indifference. He must know a great thing when he sees it.

    ReplyDelete