Family

Family

August 18, 2015

Last Day of School...2+ months ago!!

I had this post written (well, mostly written)
 since the beginning of summer and somehow I passed it up. So I am positing it now...even though summer is just about over!

----------------

The last day of school for the boys was June 9th!  We were all super excited for summer to begin.  I love summer!  We decided that all Fridays this summer are going to be "Fun Fridays".  We talked about it for weeks and all the boys were looking forward to summer vacation.

Here is Luke (and a neighbor, Zach) walking up the drive on the last day of school.

 
As soon as Luke walked up the drive, our neighbor Vinny was inviting all of the boys over to his house for some water fun.  Caden missed his last day of school due to a stomach ache, but he recovered by the time Luke got home and was all about getting wet with the neighborhood boys.

Luke
 
 

Vinny
 
 

Porter
 
 
 
Caden
 
 

Ryland was all about the digger.
 
 



I am so grateful for Caden's teacher this year.  Caden has a late birthday (August) and we held him back a year.  Even so, we were a bit worried about him academically.  He has never learned well from me...we are completely different thinkers and I have struggled to figure out how he learns best.  I have also thought dyslexia could be a factor.  Well, his teacher was an answer to prayer...she was perfect for him.  She knew exactly how to get this boy to love school and be successful.  She didn't share my concern of dyslexia (although, as I have worked with him at home this summer, I still wonder and may have him tested).  I sure wish she could follow him and continue to be his teacher throughout his elementary days.  Under her wing I think he would do marvelously well.

Luke's teacher, while nice, was not my favorite.  She was unorganized, flighty, and gave excessive homework (in humble my opinion).  In addition, I was always trying to figure out what Luke was supposed to be doing.  And if I am wondering, then how is Luke supposed to know?  I emailed her frequently about login problems we were having with his spelling and math homework sites online.  A few people in class were not receiving the posted assignments (Luke was one of those).  She tried to solve the issue, but gave up after her attempts were unsuccessful.  Good thing Luke was good at spelling.  He would take the test at the end of the week, having never seen a spelling list (spelling in his school is taught by learning "spelling rules" not by memorizing a list), and he would typically get them all right.  Somewhere along the way, daily online math assignments began, but we somehow missed the memo (did I say unorganized?) and when I finally figured it out, his teacher could not locate his login information and, again, gave up!  Not being able to do the daily math assignment online was not so good and I have spent the summer trying to catch Luke up.  Needless to say, in the future I will be requesting that she not be a teacher for my children.

School begins again in 2 weeks and I am so not ready for summer to be over.  It has gone by far too quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment