Family

Family

October 22, 2010

Artwork

I am not a saver.
I just don't save things.
I think it's partly a space issue and partly
that there are few things I get sentimental about.
(Is that a character flaw?)

Luke has quickly figured me out. Whenever he finds a toy or object that is broken in any way, he comes to me and says, "Mom, this is broken. I'm going to throw it away." He then throws it away. No looking back. Even if it's his own toy.

Whenever new toys enter our house, old toys exit our house. This is more a space issue than anything. We keep our local Goodwill well supplied. Again, Luke knows how this works. He received a firetruck for his birthday this year. The following morning at breakfast he asked me, "Does this mean we have to get rid of my old firetruck?"

Yup.


Only this time, I have a confession...it was purely because I have despised that firetruck from the moment it entered our house. It had about 20 pieces and I was being asked to "fix it" every day...over and over again. And then some more.

It had to go.

Luke's preschool artwork is no different.
It receives the same treatment.
I just can't save every piece he brings home, especially because it amounts to 1-2 a day. I received a great idea from a friend (who is also not a saver) to take pictures.

So, our routine is to come home from preschool, take pictures of the amazing artwork and hang it on the fridge. The following week we repeat the process...only the artwork from the fridge finds its way to the garbage and the new artwork takes it's place.
(Is that awful of me?)

Here are just a few (of the many) pieces of Luke's artwork.
To show they existed.
I'm sure these are pretty boring to the viewers of this blog, but they are more for the sake of history than anything.

Luke's teachers thought this piece was worthy of framing.
(Umm...I won't be framing it -
Sorry Mrs. Cohen & Mrs. Weinstein)


Luke loves to paint. If he doesn't paint at preschool, the first thing he says to me, with great sadness, when I come to pick him up is, "Mom, I didn't paint today."



"Sammy the Scarecrow"



This one is my favorite.
It's made with paint, mixed with glue, so the pieces of nature he gathered would stick to the paper.


Fall Leaf

1 comment:

  1. I love that you toss too! My luke often checks out the trash to rescue pictures I have thrown out too quickly! We would have to rent a storage unit just for artwork if we kept everything!

    ReplyDelete